Clomid (Clomiphene): Is better than Nolvadex for PCT?
Anyone who’s been contemplating hopping on to anabolic steroids must definitely have read about PCT.
If you haven’t, then stop now and do your research. You have no reason to be doing steroids without having a concrete understanding of Post Cycle Therapy.
But if you have read up on it and brushed up on your research, then you’d know that there are three to four drugs that are mostly used by bodybuilders to speed up their body’s recovery after a steroid cycle.
There are varying opinions on which one of these drugs work best. Or which ones must be used in synergy to derive the best results while minimizing side effects.
Some bodybuilders do fine with just Nolvadex. Others find it too mild and add Clomid in the mix.
Some never use Nolva and swear by Clomid.
The question is, which one of these opinions do you go by?
Is Nolvadex better than Clomid, or is it the other way round?
Let’s find out.
What is Clomid?
Clomid is the tradename for Clomiphene, a very powerful Selective Estrogenic Receptor Modulator drug that has been used for years as a fertility aid in women.
Clomid works by limiting the negative feedback that Estrogen causes in the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Ovarian-Axis.
This in turn increases the release of gonadotropins like Luteinizing Hormone (LH) and Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH).
However, what would interest a bodybuilder or an anabolics user is the way in which Clomid prevents estrogenic side effects, or helps the body recover its production of endogenous testosterone.
When used during a cycle that has a strong aromatizing compound like Testosterone, Clomid will bind to estrogen receptors in the mammary tissue thereby reducing the risk of gynecomastia.
It will also help prevent water retention to a large extent.
When used during a PCT, Clomid stimulates the release of LH and FSH, which subsequently causes an increase in the production of endogenous testosterone.
How does it differ from Nolvadex?
In theory, there is very little difference in Clomid and Nolvadex. Both these drugs are SARMS belonging to the group of drugs called triphenylethylenes. They work in a similar fashion, that is by occupying estrogen receptors in key areas.
Both drugs have agonistic and antagonistic properties, which means that they block the action of estrogen in some sites, whereas acting as Estrogen in other sites.
Both drugs are generally very well tolerated at low to moderate doses, which is what you will be using during your PCT.
However, if you compare the doses that are typically used for on-cycle use or for PCT, you will notice that Nolvadex is used at much lower doses as compared to Clomid.
For example, a typical PCT protocol with Nolvadex would be 20-40mg/day for two weeks followed by half that dose for a couple of weeks.
On the other hand, most bodybuilders recommend that you dose at least 100mg/day of Clomid.
This has led to a general consensus that milligram by milligram, Nolva is the superior drug.
But just like any compound that can alter hormonal levels, this cannot be generalized in black or white.
The differences in Nolvadex and Clomid
Nolvadex is a very beneficial compound in preventing gynecomastia and water retention (to an extent).
- One of the innate benefits that most people don’t talk about is that by acting as Estrogen in the liver, it amplifies the levels of good cholesterol, which can be very useful if you are using anabolic steroids.
- However, this also leads to an increase in sex hormone binding globulin (SHGB), which may reduce free testosterone in the body. So, while your total Test increases, Nolva might limit the amount of free test that’s vital in building, or retaining the muscle that you gained during cycle.
- Also, it reduces the levels of IGF-1. Not very beneficial for maintaining muscle. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11299809
- Nolvadex also up-regulates progestin receptors, which means that if you are using compounds with a strong progestin nature, like Nandrolone or one of its derivatives, it might not be enough to prevent gynecomastia, or other progestin related sides. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15821116
- Then there’s the famed Estrogen rebound that might occur when you stop using Nolvadex.
Clomid on the other hand, does not reduce IGF-1, does not upregulate progestin, which means that you can use it even with Nandrolones, nor does it cause the rebound.
- However, it does tend to cause some emotional side effects at doses above 100mg/day. Due to its mild anti-estrogenic nature, most users would consider using at least 100mg/day, which makes them emotionally unstable. Mild irritability, anxiety and even panic attacks have been reported at high doses.
- Also, long term use with Clomid might desensitize the pituitary to Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone.
Which one do you select?
That depends on multiple factors.
- What compounds are you using in your steroid cycle? If you are using Nandrolones, then Clomid will be a better option.
- How many cycles have you done in the past? Have your gonads atrophied considerably? This will determine whether you need to use one of these, a combination of both or, an entirely different PCT protocol. ave you used one of these compounds in the past? What was your experience with it? Some users love Nolvadex. It just works better for them. No lack of libido, no irritability. Others find it too hard to prevent their E2 levels from crashing while using Nolva. They find Clomid better.
- Some men, on the other hand discover that Clomid turns them into an emotional woman. They swear by Nolvadex and continue to use it.
To be fair, we would recommend that you use an aromatase inhibitor as your first line of defense to prevent gyno. If you do need to use a SERM, limit the usage during PCT, rather than on cycle.
This also helps prevent an Estrogen rebound when you stop using Nolvadex.
The right dosage for PCT with Clomid
As we mentioned earlier, most seasoned bodybuilders recommend starting with 100mg/day of Clomid for your PCT.
We say that you start lower. With say 50mg/day for a week, 25 for two weeks after this and 12.5 for the last week.
You may want to add Nolva to this if your cycle has been harsh and prolonged.